An underlying storyline at Augusta this week comes from the Official World Golf Rankings.
Justin Thomas, Jon Rahm, and Jordan Spieth can all take over Dustin Johnson’s spot at the top of the OWGR this week depending on their finish.
Here are the scenarios:
Justin Thomas moves to No. 1 with:
- Solo 2nd and DJ finish outside top 3
- Solo 3rd and DJ finish outside top 8
- Solo 4th and DJ finish outside the top 20, and neither Rahm nor Spieth win
- Solo 5th and DJ missed cut (or finish outside the top 60), and neither Rahm nor Spieth win
Rahm moves to No. 1 with:
- Win, DJ finish outside top 8 and Thomas finish outside top 3
Spieth moves to No. 1 with:
- Win, DJ finish outside top 10 and Thomas finish outside top 3
Johnson has held onto the No. 1 spot since last February.
For those wondering about Tiger, while he can’t reach #1 this week, he could move as high as 22nd with a victory. A runner-up finish would move him as high as 38th, while he needs a top-3 finish to crack the top 50.